Making a Complaint

In the vast majority of cases clients of our members receive excellent service.
Occasionally, they don’t get it right and if a client is not happy with any aspect of their performance, they would like to know about it, so that they can rectify the situation and take measures to prevent the situation happening again.
If a client if is not happy, in the first instance, they should write to the firm concerned - the name of the person and their contact details should be on the contract/terms of Business/Letter of Engagement that are provided to all clients.
Clients should not contact the Institute or the Estate Planning Arbitration Scheme until they have given the firm the opportunity to put things right.
The Institute’s Code of Practice requires that letters of dissatisfaction should be acknowledged within 3 working days and will include information about how the issues that have been raised will be dealt with. The firm then has a further 20 days in which to complete an investigation and respond to those issues.
If a client is not happy with this response, they have three options:
1) To refer the matter to the Institute by writing to us.
The Institute will help the client and the firm to reach a mutually acceptable outcome.
2) If the client is not happy with the response from the Institute, or if they elect not to refer the matter to the Institute, they may refer the matter to the Estate Planning Arbitration Scheme (EPAS), which is a completely independent scheme run by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. They will be required to contribute towards the costs of this process.
3) They may pursue the matter through the courts, irrespective of whether they have followed any or all of the above procedures.

Linesearch THE IPW SITELine
© Institute of Professional Willwriters (2018)